Unable to install FW 1884 1.8 Driver on Windows 10

David Oppe

Gear owned
Tascam FW-1884
Please forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I was having sync issues with my FW 1884 last night and I stupidly uninstalled the 1.8 driver. I then attempted a fresh install of the Tascam driver and discovered that Windows 10 will NOT allow me to. It was working with Win 10 but my copy of Win 10 was the Microsoft free upgrade, so I don't think I can roll back to Win 7 64bit, re-install 1.8 driver and then back up to Win 10. ANY help and advice is greatly appreciated !!

DRO

How would windows 10 NOT allow you to reinstall the drivers? Did you try reinstalling the drivers in Win7 compatibility mode as the Administrator?

Excellent question. What clued me in is when the window popped up and said "Unable to install driver with this version of Windows". I will try Win7 compatibility mode. Much appreciated ! Thank you.

Cool, Let us know if it worked.

Hey guys,

I have the same issue and i tried the windows compatibility mode but it still doesn't want to install and keeps telling me it can't install on this version of windows.

it keeps telling me
"an error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
deleteFile Failed; code 5
Access denied."

I gave it full permission through the compatibility mode but im at a loss for what to do next. anyone got any suggestions?

thanks

Did you try manually deleting the old driver in safe mode?

Today is the last day to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Before I make a decision to upgrade from Windows 7, I would like to know how well the FW1884 works in Windows 10. Any info is greatly appreciated.

According to original poster the answer appears to be yes

Thanks cmaffia, but I am looking for info on long term use in Windows 10, stability, etc. While it is nice to know someone got it to work intially, I would like insight from anyone who has used Windows 10 with the FW1884 for some time with or without success before I pull the trigger.

I managed to get fw-1884 working (somewhat) on windows 10 machine and using Cubase 8.5. Only issue I'm having is every 3-5 seconds it loses sync and audio drops out. Any suggestions?

windows 10 not good for audio production , I had to go back to windows 7 ,no issues any more

@Amp 57 I respectfully disagree. There are many improvements. Windows 10 is the most audio friendly of all the windows OS's. Microsoft made audio one of their priorities.

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online