US-2x2HR locks up when playback app has paused audio and screen goes to sleep

aurialLoop

Gear owned
US-2x2HR
Hi there,

I am using the Tascam US-2x2HR with my windows 10 desktop computer and experiencing an issue where the interface 'locks up' if an audio file is paused after my screen goes to sleep due to inactivity.

I've been able to repeat the issue consistently with different sample rates and with different software (Spotify, Foobar2000).

By 'locks up', I mean that once the screen wakes up, no audio will output through the audio interface and software cannot stream to it any further (that is, it's shown as no audio sent in windows, not just no audio coming out of the interface) until I either:

Toggle the sample rate from one rate and back to the original rate.

Or in some cases, I'm able to close the app and reopen it.

From a low level point of view, when an audio file is played, a connection is established from an audio app to a windows WDM interface (unless it's a daw, or similar which has other interface options), which talks to the audio interface, does its handshake, and a data stream begins. If that stream is paused, the connection continues to be maintained. What appears to be happening is that after the screen goes to sleep for say 10 minutes, this connection to the audio interface gets goes into some idle state and the connection is improperly closed by the audio interface or the audio interface drivers. So when the screen wakes back up, the computer is still expecting a connection to be there, but the audio interface has already closed the connection.

Now, it's important to note that when I say screen goes to sleep, I mean just my screen. I have set the computer itself to never go to sleep mode.

I should also note that if an audio file is being played (not paused) while the screen goes to sleep, then the audio interface does not 'lock up'.

I've also gone and made sure all my USB devices in device manager are set to not go to sleep or into a standby mode for any reason to rule out that possibility. I can confirm that has no effect.

I've previously used other usb audio interfaces with no such issue.

At best I believe this is some kind of driver or firmware issue.

Here is a way to replicate the issue:

Set your windows 10 desktop computer to not go into sleep mode. Set the screen to go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity. Open spotify, start playing an audio file through the interface then pause it. Wait 20 minutes - 10 for the screen to go to sleep, and another 10 for the audio interface to go into an idle state. Wake the screen up, and try to play the audio file again.

I have yet to be able to try this on another computer, but that's the next step for me to assist in this process.

Thanks for your time.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.