Using external effects through the 3 Aux Outs?

DirkDigler

Gear owned
Model 24
So, I've had my Model 24 for a couple months now. I pretty much have it all figured out except for the Aux Out: Mon1 Mon2 & FX setup. What I want to do is FX out to my Behri Virtualizer 3D. I want to be able to use the effects over all the channels if I want. Do I use an Insert cable for this? Since there are no dedicated Aux Ins, this would seem to make sense. The manual says to make sure the internal effect is off. I've turned the internal effect off but I don't hear any effect from the Virtualizer. It's got to be something simple. I can use the Virtualizer through the Inserts just fine, but I want to do it through the Aux Out: FX.

From what I can tell you can use Aux out : Mon1 & Mon2 to external effects, but each return must come back into a separate channel. So how do I assign the audio from the effect to different Channels on the M24? I went out of Mon1 with an Insert cable and that didn't work. Then I tried regular 1/4" cables. Still no luck. Seems like there's a special combination of Mon1 & Mon2 faders and routing involved.

The manual is kinda worthless. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Marcel
how do I assign the audio from the [external] effect to different Channels on the M24?
I don't own a Model 24, but from what I've read in this forum, you can't, because the Inputs are hard wired to their respective Tracks, and the outboard gear has to come back to an Input channel (2 if stereo).

The TASCAM web site has a video on Bouncing. The same general process applies to using an external effect. If you scroll through some of the recent threads you'll find a link to the video; or you can search this forum for the term "bounce" or "bouncing". On the results screen click the "Site Result" tab.

You can use the FX out jack, which automatically disconnects the internal effects; Monitor Outs 1 and/or 2 jack(s); or the the Sub Out jacks to send Track signals to external gear. No matter which you choose, the external gear has to come back to an Input.

an Insert cable didn't work. Then I tried regular 1/4" cables. Still no luck
You also need to pay attention to the type of jacks. The KISS headache-proof method says use TRS plugs with TRS jacks; and TS plugs with TS jacks.

EDIT:
This post in the 2488/DP-24/32/SD forum has some generic information that might be helpful when connecting outboard gear.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check it out. Seems like three dedicated Aux returns wouldn't have added that much complexity or cost to the build. Would have made it so much more useful.

Reactions: Matthew Fogel
Thanks for the replies. I also received a reply from Tascam.
I've got it figured out now. It would have been great if the manual were better, but it would have been really great if the Model 24 came with three dedicated Aux Returns. How much would that have added to the price?

Yeah, I really think it's crippled so as not to cannibalize their existing professional level MZ mixers, DP series portastudio hardware daws and the HS series recorders. Hence the 24/48 max and the single track recordings. In fact, if you watch the demo videos with VP Joe Stopka, it becomes pretty clear that he went to R&D one day with a DR-680 and said, can you like stick one of these things onto an old school analog mixer like our old Model series of mixers for the original portastudio? That would be cool. And that's kinda exactly what this is, 1970s analog mixer meets late 2000s digital recorder. For me, having started recording on a Porta05, this made sense for me. A mixing board for my jam band with a recorder built in so I don't have to futz with a laptop while I'm jamming.

cited: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/recording-musicthink-like-its-tape-machine-joe-stopka-cts/
For what it's worth, my guess was pretty close to exactly what happened. ;-)

Last edited:
I've got it figured out now. It would have been great if the manual were better, but it would have been really great if the Model 24 came with three dedicated Aux Returns. How much would that have added to the price?

it would help if you shared what Tascam told you and WHAT you figured out. I was reading the manual all day and couldn't figure out the same issue you had. Can you tell me what Tascam told you as a solution?

Hi, just to say how i'm running mine, i'm a relative newbie to audio though.

I have channel 1 mic
(2 is empty as it's the general PC audio for youtube etc. over usb)
3-16 various synths

I use Monitor 2 knob on all these channels to decide on the amount of outboard FX (send) I want for each channel. I then have Monitor 2 on the main panel umuted, and set to 0 (unity).

Monitor 2 cable is mono (unfortunately) out to a Source Audio Delay then Source Audio Reverb, this then comes back as an audio pair into channels 17/18. For these channels I have Monitor 2 knob set to 0. I use the fader on the channel 17/18 to chose the level of outboard FX in the Main mix.

As an aside I also have a Synthstrom Deluge, I use it as a replacement for a DAW, so looping, arranging, recording, drums, midi sequencing. I use the stereo SUB out into the Deluge, I set each channel i want to send to Deluge using the SUB out button (normally only a single instrument at a time to loop or record). I then output back into the Model 24 mixer from the Deluge through the 21/22 RCA sockets. This then becomes part of the Main mix.

Not sure if that helps at all.

What I like about the 24 is that i can get a lot of synths hooked in at once, so no constant plug/unplug.

nik

As mentioned above it would have been nice if you could have shared what Tascam replied to you to solve your question. Any explanation would be most appreciated.

@sean8877, @DirkDigler hasn't been back to the Forum since Feb. I suggest you check out the video on Bouncing with the Model 24 because that's basically how you use external FX returns to the mixer.

Reactions: sean8877
@-mjk- Thanks for your reply. Do you know where to find that video, is it somewhere on Youtube? Sorry I am new here and not familiar with the video. Thanks.

Right here in this forum, at the top is a pinned sticky topic for videos.

Here is a Youtube video that shows me printing the Master track 23/24 back to my daw in order to capture summing out to the Model 2 via Sub L/R, Aux Mon 1/2 and FX and then routed back in on channel 19/20

Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you @Matthew Fogel ! This is going in the sticky, right away!

Thanks Matthew!

btw, I have that old 4 track console and the tape deck that goes with it :)

I just spent a good hour having the same issue, or similar, to the original poster. After I didn't find the answer in this post I came back to post this here in case the thing that was causing it for me might be causing it for someone else.

Symptom: I was trying to use the Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 outputs as effects sends. ran 1/4" cables from Monitor 1 to the input of an effects pedal, then ran the output from the effects pedal back into a track on the board (14, maybe.) I wasn't getting anything out of the effect. I had the aux1 knob turned up on the channel I wanted to be effected, and the master aux 1 turned up, and the MON 1 slider at unity, but nothing was coming back in from the effect.

What turned out to be the problem is that the "SD MAIN MIX RETURN" button was selected. I don't know when that got pushed in - it certainly wasn't obvious to me that it was pushed in, but it also isn't at all obvious to me why that would essentially turn off those 2 outputs. In relation to that switch the manual says "ATTENTION - be away that when this switch is on (pushed in) the sound of the MAIN MIX L/R bus is not output." To me that isn't indicating that the MON 1 and MON 2 outs won't work with it pushed in, but, at least on mine, that turns out to be the case.

Hope this might save someone the headache I have right now.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online