Using the FW-1884 in Windows 8

I had it all installed and working. Now all of a sudden I am losing my FireWire connection on my 1884 & my Motu 828mk2.

So the last few times I shut down when I boot up everything in the same order each time. 1884 > 828mk2 > PC no firewire. Everything worked for a while now I'm getting errors. Anyone else experiencing this?

Does anybody know where I can download windows 7 64bit legacy firewire drivers? (not win7 32bit) ...

Anyone successful using the FW-1884 in Windows 8?

I have been unsuccessful installing the "FW1884_Win_1.80" driver on my Windows 8 box...64-bit ver. of Win.8.

The install appears to be working, but at end always get "cannot install to this version of Windows" message.

I would be very grateful if Tascam would put out a driver that worked for Windows8 and 8.1. Not supporting their products will cause me to rethink purchasing Tascam hardware in future. Of course, the converse is true!

Any help...ideally from Tascam....but will be obliged and grateful to anyone who can help me get my FW-1884 working with Sonar X2 on a Windows 8 machine.

At the time we last got a driver from Tascam for Windows 7 64-bit, there was a Tascam rep reading this forum who was helpful. After the forum changed, though, I haven't seen evidence of this person here.

I wish there was someone helpful at Tascam now...with Windows 8 support!

I'm guessing the ver. 1.8, the most recent download from US Tascam site is the driver you are referring to. If not, I would be very interested in obtaining a more recent driver...or at least one with the ability to be installed in Win 8.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately version 1.8 does not install under Windows 8. I get the error message:"cannot install under this version of Window".
Anyone want to buy a FW 1448? I'm going to look at other companies that support their products! Unless somebody surprises me with an answer,,,

Did you read earlier in this thread, where someone described how to do this? I'm not saying Tascam should not update the driver, but apparently there is a way to use it in Windows 8.

Reactions: DJ CHRIS
Reactions: DJ CHRIS
I got me Fireface 800 installed it in minutes. No issues. Was going to get rid of this piece but now that I have all these extra inputs I'm being greedy. I guess since I'm not relying on the 1884 it's lack of stability with Win 8 doesn't bother me as much.

I'm still have problems getting my fw-1884 to work in windows 8 ... wondering if anybody has made further progress?

Any updates on FW-1884 drivers for Windows 8.1. I did have it working on a previous install of 8.1 but due to windows media player library corruption I had to reinstall windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 . There was a lot of problems besides windows media player and constantly had to restart. Of course now the driver will not install on windows 8.1. I could not determine if problems were related to FW drivers. They did work before I reinstalled which is so frustrating!!

I'm still have problems getting my fw-1884 to work in windows 8 ... wondering if anybody has made further progress?

I have. I just bought a Lenovo, 64 bit, desktop w/ Windows 8.1, and I was able to successfully install my FW-1884. I get clean audio in and out to my DAW and full use of Control Surface functionality.

You must install Legacy 64 bit drivers from a Windows 7 machine and the 1.80 drivers for the FW-1884, while being able to install digitally unsigned drivers. That is the key. You won't be able to do this if you do not have that ability. There is a write up here on this site for that portion of the process, or link to the RME site, that better describe how to get into that state.

I was lucky that I was doing this to a brand new machine. You will have to make your 8.1 (64 bit) machine like a new one, and re-install the necessary drivers, in the previously mentioned condition of being able to install unsigned drivers.

Also, the last portion of the process, installing the 1.80 drivers has to be done a special way. You must right click on the drivers (after extracting) and install in a different manner than normally done. That procedure is also documented on this site.

I'm considering writing up a "by-the-numbers", step by step procedure for this process. Because what is out there now is so convoluted and abstract, that you have extrapolate from different websites and threads information and drivers to accomplish what seems to be an insurmountable task.

One thing I will say, You can do all of this without using CMD line editing. No need for BCDEdit. So if that scares you, don't worry about it, it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Any updates on FW-1884 drivers for Windows 8.1. I did have it working on a previous install of 8.1 but due to windows media player library corruption I had to reinstall windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 . There was a lot of problems besides windows media player and constantly had to restart. Of course now the driver will not install on windows 8.1. I could not determine if problems were related to FW drivers. They did work before I reinstalled which is so frustrating!!

Dr Buzz, it is not the drivers, it is a M$ issue.

It can be done.

I just did it yesterday, successfully.

If you need help, message me, I will help you.

Unfortunately version 1.8 does not install under Windows 8. I get the error message:"cannot install under this version of Window".
Anyone want to buy a FW 1448? I'm going to look at other companies that support their products! Unless somebody surprises me with an answer,,,

Respectfully, I say to you, that this is NOT Tascam's fault. Their drivers work fine, but Micro$oft has made it difficult for FW-1884 users.

That error message is actually very misleading, because you CAN get the drivers to work in 64 bit Windows 8.1 machines.

There are some things you have to work around, but it is not really a "hack". Hack implies, to me, having to make huge and possibly dangerous changes to your machine in order to accomplish a particular task.

This is not the case.

But to address your point, Tascam should at least come up with a procedure for affected users. As far as the drivers are concerned, they work. You must change certain aspects of how your W8.1 machine deals with the 1394 standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,
A detailed step by step tutorial would be most appreciated.
Something like the Win 7 routine I posted would be of great value to the community.
Tom

Tom, I promise that I will.

I had my FW-1884 working perfectly for about a month, then I deleted some Lenovo bloatware from my machine, did a Windows update, and now I have to reboot a few times to get my FW-1884 to work properly.

Like an idiot, I didn't image my PC after it was working perfectly.

Also, I got busy and didn't type up the procedure while it was still fresh in my mind. I am backwards engineering the whole process and might end up doing a clean uninstall, from your website.

I figured it out once, I'll figure it out again.

As soon as I am able to piece it all together, I will post it here, Tascam Forums.

yes i use v1.8.0 drivers on win8-64 pro. i have found i need to boot computer first then fw1884+fe8+fe8 to get it to load/startup correctly. for shutdown turn off pc first then power down tascam gear. runs great with cubase 7 - 64

+1,

I boot my PC first, then wait a few minutes after logging in, then turn on FW-1884. As long as my PC boots perfectly (sometimes I get BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD on start up), then I have no problems whatsoever.

It's funny, because the first day I bought my PC from Fry's, it worked great, with the FW-1884 starting up first. Only after about a month and an update did I have to starting booting my PC first before the Tascam FW-1884.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.