What's wrong with my FW1082 and what's this "legacy" driver everyone talks about?

TiKkORome

Gear owned
Tascam FW-1082
Okay, just to get this out of the way:
Windows 7 (64), custom PC, and I use Acid/Nuendo/StudioOne/Reason mostly.

Anyway:
•Issue #1- I switched back to try to use my FW1082 as an interface today. PC recognized the interface after completing the usual PC>LED>1082 power-up sequence. It popped up as the "soundcard" in Windows and I selected it. At that point it should have played the audio from Windows Media Player I clicked, but it didn't. I could see the song playing and the waveform moving in the player but no sound came out of the speakers. Earlier, when it wasn't recognizing the driver/FW1082, it wouldn't play the track at all. Now it plays the song but no audible sound (like its on mute/monitors unplugged/volume all the way down on the mixer/etc.

I know it can be finicky sometimes so I opened up a DAW (specifically Acid, then tried StudioOne, Nuendo, then Absynth as a standalone. In each case I can see the audio metering but no audible sound.

The only way to hear any sound at all is to select "FW1082 SPDIF" as my audio out, in which case it plays through the headphones of my VRM Box (connected to the FW1082 via SPDIF).
No sound comes through Analog out 1/2.
I currently have no choice but to use my AB1818VSL as my interface and use the FW1082 solely as a Mackie Control emulator... which brings me to issue #2.

•Issue #2- I switched to my AB1818VSL interface to run the audio in Nuendo and now the FW1082 isn't working as a control surface.
While I was trying to make it work as an interface, I had no problem getting it to control StudioOne in song mode. Unfortunately, I only use that DAW for mastering and occasionally composing,
so I switched to Nuendo to get back to mixing once I switched back to the PreSonus interface. However, it's not doing anything.
The faders didn't move when I opened a song I've been working on, no lights (except the "firewire", "clock", and "computer" lights), and transport functions unresponsive.

I go to Devices and when I press the "Mackie HUI" on the devices window, it pops up a little window that says "mixer" as the only option.

I go to Device Setup. Under Remote Devices, "FW1082 Control" is selected for MIDI Input and Output. Same for Quick Controls. Same under the Mackie HUI" option.
I used it for years so I know it works. The only thing that stands out to me is that I don't see anywhere to switch between Mackie Control, HUI, Tascam, etc. I can only pick: FW1082: Port1, Port2, Control, VP1, VP2, and the AudioBox MIDI I/O and options for my Axiom keyboard. I assume switching between Mackie Control/HUI/Tascam Native/etc will pop up once I get this part sorted out but I have no idea what to choose at this step.
Did opening Nuendo with the Axiom49 on also confuse it? I've used both together a bunch of times and the faders/transport on the Axiom aren't controlling Nuendo, so I don't think it made the Axiom the control surface.
I would close Nuendo and restart the FW1082 but that leads me to the 3rd issue

•Issue #3- If I turn the FW1082 off at the wrong time or wrong order or whatever, it crashes to the BSOD.
This is the issue that lead to me turning the FW1082 off for a long time. I have an obscene amount of plug-ins (literally 100s of 1000s of dollars worth) so it takes a long time to open my DAWs and Nuendo takes by far the longest to open. Having the computer crash (because it didn't like me closing a DAW or it stopped working and I turned it on and off to reboot) is a huge problem when clients are paying by the hour or Im trying to record while I'm motivated.

I have the 1.8 driver and I updated to the last firmware update earlier today (just in case that was the problem but still no luck.
I've read a few people on here tackle problems by "selecting the Legacy driver" but I have no idea what they're talking about. Like I said, my driver is 1.8.

Okay, ignore #2.
I added a device, selected for that device to be a Mackie Control, selected FW1082 control for MIDI in and erased the HUI. Transport worked right away. Then went back and selected FW1082 Control for MIDI out, hit apply and all the faders moved to match the screen.

Still lost on the "no audible sound when used as an interface" and BSOD when closing DWAs sometimes if its mapped as the control surface for it or turning unit off far too often.

Thank you. I just bought a Neumann U87 and all the materials for a reputable booth. Im trying to spend the rest of my upgrade budget on Neve and Focusrite outboard gear, so I gotta make this mixing console and 1 of these interfaces work like they're supposed to (ideally I'd like to use the FW1082 ASIO and just use the everything else as expansion, SPDIF, or sell it for more preamps and mics. Thanks you in advance. Clicking now.

Sorry, didn't have time to get to it right away and didn't wanna reply until I had...
Yes, I followed the instructions you gave. I switched to Legacy. In the next step I was supposed to install the driver but it was already showing 1.8 was still installed.
Was I supposed to uninstall it?
I was gonna figure out how to uninstall it and start over but everything seemed to be working. It wouldn't allow audio to play out of the monitors at first but I started messing with the buttons and got it to switch out of whatever mode it was in and everything started working finally. Shortly after I finished celebrating, it suddenly lost power out of nowhere (which crashed the system because it has to be started up and shutdown in a specific order to avoid crashing the system for whatever reason). I think that was because of the cheap universal power supply I was using. I think its gonna finally work right once the new power supply I ordered arrives.
I'd hate to have to buy another motorized control surface. I just spent several thousand dollars (I don't even wanna look at my statement to see exactly how much lol) adding vintage gear, a Universal Audio DSP system, ordered a CPU upgrade, etc but I've been looking at other motorized control surfaces and I don't like them as much as this one. I just need it to work dependably.

Reactions: dat pham
Tikk,
Do you have a TI chipset? There is a tool to test that on the website.
Get it here OCHI Test Tool. Its a zip file, when you run the tool you'll get this:
ohci_tool.jpg

Vendor : Texas Instruments that's the important thing!
My studio FW-1884 is on 24/7, I never turn it off (it has the SB#606 cap issue).
Booting Windows 7 was never a problem, I'm now running Win 10 in the studio
and never have an issue (this is two different computers with different Mother
Boards (win 7 had TI chip on the MB, the Win 10 has a pci-e TI firewire card).
The key here is that with the TI chipset I've had ZERO issues with the FW-1884.
You should not have problems with the FW-1082 IF you have the TI chipset and
set the the firewire driver to Legacy.
win_7_device_manager.jpg

Keep us posted!
Tom

Sorry, didn't have time to get to it right away and didn't wanna reply until I had...
Yes, I followed the instructions you gave. I switched to Legacy. In the next step I was supposed to install the driver but it was already showing 1.8 was still installed.
Was I supposed to uninstall it?
I was gonna figure out how to uninstall it and start over but everything seemed to be working. It wouldn't allow audio to play out of the monitors at first but I started messing with the buttons and got it to switch out of whatever mode it was in and everything started working finally. Shortly after I finished celebrating, it suddenly lost power out of nowhere (which crashed the system because it has to be started up and shutdown in a specific order to avoid crashing the system for whatever reason). I think that was because of the cheap universal power supply I was using. I think its gonna finally work right once the new power supply I ordered arrives.
I'd hate to have to buy another motorized control surface. I just spent several thousand dollars (I don't even wanna look at my statement to see exactly how much lol) adding vintage gear, a Universal Audio DSP system, ordered a CPU upgrade, etc but I've been looking at other motorized control surfaces and I don't like them as much as this one. I just need it to work dependably.

Hi TiKkORome, I'm having the similar audio issue with my FW 1082.

My PC setup:
Win7 has legacy driver
Tascam driver 1.8
Firmware 1.83
DAW: REAPER

Hooked up and all motorized faders, buttons work fine and respond/sync perfectly to the DAW actions, except there is NO audio can be heard from the TASCAM Headphones. The only way the headphones work is when selecting "MON MIX" mode and choose "INPUTS" or "BOTH" . ie. the sound direct from the INPUTS can be heard thru the Headphones (but no sound coming from DAW "COMPUTERS")

FYI, my FW 1884 works perfectly fine with this PC setup but I couldn't get the sound out of FW1082.

As you said in your post above
"I started messing with the buttons and got it to switch out of whatever mode it was in and everything started working finally"
Can you please advise how you got it to work properly?

Thanks in advance

New threads

Members online