If-fw/dm mkii with osx mavericks

PaulNickson said:
I was & it was working beautifully. But it had reached its max OS (10.7) So I upgraded to an iMac so I could u/g to OS 10.9 then u/g Pro Tools to 11 and Logic to X. The rest you already know ..!

You're helping to make my point: although something already works, it perceivably doesn't work well enough. Therefore, a platform change is necessary to acquire [fill in blank upgrade here ] so that [fill in potential benefit here] is obtained.

Don't get me wrong; I understand where this unending quest might be valuable. Our good friend, Ernie Jamsire, declares that PT11 is vastly powerful. But he also warns that - if you're already making [good] music, then it may not be necessary.
So, perhaps, upgrades aren't beneficial to all people all the time.

Just saying. It really depends on the user, and whether they're able to withstand the inevitable discomfort and hair pulling that comes with the process. I guess the good news is, eventually 3rd party developers catch up - just in time for the drivers to be outdated when Micro/Apple announces the next new platform. :twisted:

CaptDan

I take your point but my philosophy is that I need to be up to date as far as poss so potential (only) clients see me as a viable resource and not just some old git (I'm 59!) who used to have a kick- arse system but cannot cut it when upgrade paths become tricky. Secondly I have recently bought my DM-4800 and wanted to bring everything else up to scratch to do it justice. (Besides, I 'enjoy' the challenge!)

Mavericks, Mac OS 10.9.1, is working fine for me on a Mac Pro. I'm running it "glitch-free" with my DM and the IF-FW/ DM MKII.
I always test major system updates on a clone of my boot drive, so I can see what the problems are before committing to the switch.
Mavericks has had a few issues, but it has been a fairly transparent transition for me.

On another front, 64bit support for my DAW has been a godsend.
Many of my productions use virtual instruments, and the new headroom is amazing.
This has greatly increased the stability and ability of my DAW.
(I know this is not Mavericks related, but addresses the topic of updates in general)

I'm not one to jump headlong in to "upgrades" just for the sake of having the latest thing. Sometimes the old "if it ain't broke" adage is the best policy.
That being said, my current setup is pretty much up to date and things are working really well.

"Many of my productions use virtual instruments, and the new headroom is amazing."

Could you elaborate on 'head room?' Do you mean with regard to audio levels, or in terms of how many v-instruments are loaded and operating simultaneously?

All my productions use virtual instruments, and - so far - I haven't had an issue using as many 32bit versions I need to, at 32/96kz, on a 4 year old Win7 2.8ghz/540gigHD. These tracks are always in tandem with several audio tracks as well. The only time I've had problems is when I can't keep my grubby mitts off of PT's 'Elastic Audio' algo. I don't know why I bother with that, except - occasionally - I just get curious. :)

CaptDan

PaulNickson said:
I take your point but my philosophy is that I need to be up to date as far as poss so potential (only) clients see me as a viable resource and not just some old git (I'm 59!) who used to have a kick- arse system but cannot cut it when upgrade paths become tricky. Secondly I have recently bought my DM-4800 and wanted to bring everything else up to scratch to do it justice. (Besides, I 'enjoy' the challenge!)

I understand the issue of client perception. Then again, if clientele were as savvy as you are, they'd do it all themselves. (Come to think of it, a lot of them try. The results aren't always - uh - wonderful, either. :) )

In any event, I admire your tenacity, and I'm not trying to be a naysayer. Oh, and I'm definitely an old git, with a few years on you. :geek: :LOL:

CaptDan

captdan said:
Could you elaborate on 'head room?' Do you mean with regard to audio levels, or in terms of how many v-instruments are loaded and operating simultaneously?

CaptDan

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the added CPU and RAM headroom, which allows for more complex and just more VI's to run at once.

Running a complete 64-bit system, Mac OSX 10.9's huge increase in available CPU, MOTU's Digital Performer 8.05 radically improved VI handling (with special attention paid to notorious CPU hog Omnisphere), an improved video card, 16 gigs of RAM and a set of three SSDs to replace my System, Projects and Samples drives has turned my 2008 MacPro 8-core machine into a fire breathing monster. Seriously, I'm seeing the kind of performance boost you associate with a new machine. I can run multiple instances of Omnisphere and Kontakt in real time without even taxing the CPU, and projects load in a small fraction of the time they did.

I am stoked!

Gravity Jim said:
captdan said:
Omnisphere and Kontakt
I am stoked!

AHA! Kontakt is a CPU goon; I can usually run two or three instances of it without problems. But above that? Uh...pushing it a bit. I can imagine how hungry Omnisphere is too. So I get it now.

Thanks.

PS: Got my can of DeoXit the other day. Sprtized my fave recording jazz box's pots and input jack. I have to say, there's an improvement in tonality; subtle, but there.
I'll be spraying that stuff on several other recipients in the coming days. Thanks for the head's up. ;)

CaptDan

Always remember folks - you only need to run ONE instance of KONTAKT (in any DAW). You need to setup/ create new outputs in KONTAKT that your DAW sees from KONTAKT and route those signals to those tracks.

YAY!!

Actually, you get better CPU coverage (at least in Digital Performer) by creating multiple instances of Kontakt.

Each instance of Kontakt is assigned to one CPU core, and the more instruments you load into that instance, the greater the load you place on that core. By creating separate instance for each instruments, you spread the load evenly across CPU cores and can therefore run more instruments before banging your head on the CPU limit (although I will load a couple or three interments into one instance of Kontakt if I am mixing them as a group... low brass and French horns, for example). So I always create a new instance for each instrument and route them into the DM3200 accordingly for max efficiency.

jamsire said:
Always remember folks - you only need to run ONE instance of KONTAKT (in any DAW). You need to setup/ create new outputs in KONTAKT that your DAW sees from KONTAKT and route those signals to those tracks.

YAY!!

Hey Ernie, I'm glad you mentioned that. I've spent many an hour setting up templates with specific outputs from Kontakt, Stylus, Xpand!, etc,for two reasons: 1. to gain better control of individual elements fed to DM channels, and 2: the obvious - to reduce CPU load. The time spent has been worth it, IMO.

That said, there may be good reason to have several instances of a VI extant in a session. Perhaps 8 V/I slots aren't sufficient for some productions, and a second instance has to be loaded for additional efx or instruments - similar to Jim's approach. However, in my workflow, that's no longer necessary, but maybe other folks prefer a different method.

This is an interesting topic, worthy of future discussion, IMO.

CaptDan

Going to start a new thread.

Can anyone please email me the beta driver?

My email: frank at lockworx dot com

I'm desperate, thanks, Frank

Thanks for the emails, sorry I forgot to say it was for mac, important info, I know...

Great forum and I'm glad I found it, thanks again, Frank.

sent.

Greetings, I would also appreciate it if someone could send me the OSX Beta driver.

audiowave at charter dot net

Many thanks!

Could someone please send me the Mavericks Beta driver.

liljulio08 "at" sbcglobal "dot" net

thanks in advance.

Hi folks..... Really need to try out the beta driver for 10.9.....
Could someone send a copy to h.hogtalare@gmail.com
It would make My day and you would always have a place in My heart....
Have a great weekend......

Last edited:
Greetings all. Could anyone please send me the beta driver for 10.9? I'm at war_424 at hotmail. Thanks in advance to all that provide great insight on this forum! William

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings all - please send the the beta OS X driver to s_elmore at charter.net
THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.