Remastering

Then do you suggest I go into the mixer with the two unbalanced TS cables, and then come back into the dp with two balanced TRS cables using the mixer's stereo outs, like you just mentioned? If that's how I should do it then that is really quite easy.

You should become familiar with the tech specs for all the inputs/outputs of your mixer before doing anything else.
General Rules when connecting:
1. Keep HiZ to HiZ, LowZ to LowZ
2. Keep TS to TS
3. Keep TRS to TRS
4. Keep XLR to XLR
5. If it has a volume control, assume it's HiZ
6. Always pay attention to #1

Edit: Here's a quick tutorial on impedance matching:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp-24-32sd-tutorial-videos.4475/page-4#post-25973

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Micki
Then I should use all TS because I was told that I should use the dp sends out when going to my mixer, and since the dp sends are unbalanced, that makes them ts, thus from what I think you are telling me, I should also come back into the dp using TS unbalanced.

That leads me to ask then, can I still use the stereo outs on my mixer when going back into my dp? If not then there are also the group outs and aux outs and monitor outs amongst others such, there are many.

Lol the mixer manual has all of those outs listed as balanced TRS outputs haha wow there aren't any unbalanced outs, though I think I read somewhere that TS can go into a TRS jack I think.

Mark, totally on point about impedance matching. Thanks for bringing out that important issue. Excellent!

Very interesting. I was reading my mixer's user manual and checking the ports, the inputs and outputs, and there sure are many lol!

Earlier you had mentioned:

"5. Connect Left and Right mixer outputs to inputs of DP machine as A/B, or C/D or E/F or G/H."

Lol haha which outputs are you talking about?

There are four aux outputs, four group outputs, xlr stereo balanced outputs, trs stereo balanced outputs, rca stereo outputs, etc, etc.. No rec outputs though surprisingly enough. I don't want to damage the equipment. There are quite a few different types of inputs and outputs, especially outputs, on a mixer so I'm wondering which one is recommended for this kind of connection.

Then just after that you mentioned:

"Power the mixer up, and then the DP with all faders down on everything."

I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just curious to know if that is the correct order of powering on the equipment because I always thought the dp-24 should be the first turned on and then after that external equipment and then speakers etc..

Always turn the stuff that's going to send surges down the line on first. Mixer first, power amps later. Since your outboard mixer is going to feed the signal to the DP you don't want it's power-on surge going to the DP. If your outboard gear creates surges on power up, you don't want them powered up into an active DP either. Outboard gear, DP, monitors last. If the monitors are off until the very last thing, no matter what wrong thing you happen to do beforehand won't get sent to the monitors and blow them up!

As for mixer outputs, probably the easiest to use would be the main stereo outs.

Reactions: Micki
That's great thank you very much! To verify, I have to use TS cables going from the dp sends into the mixer, and then TS cables going back into the dp?

That's great thank you very much! To verify, I have to use TS cables going from the dp sends into the mixer, and then TS cables going back into the dp?

The guy at the store said I should use all XLR going from the dp to the mixer and going from the mixer to the dp.

And the guy at the store has what kind of training/experience???

DP to Mixer:

The DP outputs are HiZ and either RCA/TS jacks out or 1/4" TRS (balanced) Monitor phone jacks out (if connecting via the DP Monitor out, keep in mind the Monitor out circuit puts out significantly more power than the RCA outs since the Monitor out is designed to connect to powered speakers or a power amp).

On the Mixer, the HiZ input could be a TS/RCA jack, a TS 1/4" Phone jack, or a TRS (balanced) 1/4" phone jack. You need to check the mixer specs.

Mixer to DP depends:
The mixer outputs will be HiZ**
  • If TS/RCA jacks out on Mixer, then TS/RCA to TS 1/4" phone plug into DP.
  • If mono (TS) 1/4" phone jack on Mixer, then 1/4" mono phone plugs to connect into DP.
  • If balanced TRS 1/4" phone jack on Mixer then use TRS 1/4" phone plugs to connect into DP.
**The DP XLR LowZ mic inputs and the HiZ TRS Phone inputs are on separate circuits. You absolutely do not want to run a Mixer XLR out to a DP XLR mic input. The Mixer is not a microphone. Mixer XLR outs are meant for connecting long cable runs to power amplifiers or powered speakers that have XLR inputs.

AND, the only time a balanced cable is a better option than unbalanced is when the cable run needs to be longer than about 10 meters, or if there's a specific problem with R(adio) F(requency) I(nterference) - like florescent lighting may cause, or a computer may cause; or a pesky ground loop exists. Absent any RFI or ground loop problems, there's nothing wrong with using an unbalanced cable and connectors for short cable runs.

PLUS everything mjk has posted.

EDIT: I should have written "about 4 meters" (13 feet), not "10 meters" (32 feet) for short unbalanced cable runs. A senior moment in the wee hours of the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Mark, I spit my drink! Your comment brought back many fond memories of buying parts at Radio Shack, and then wasting time trying to educate the sales person who interrogated me about what I was going to use them for.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Last edited:
Reactions: Micki
So Mark... I'm still trying to wrap my head around this....relative to your comments above about TRS-to-TRS, XLR-to-XLR, etc.

In your view - is it an issue or problem that for monitor connections.... I'm using two TRS-to-XLR cables to connect the DP monitor outs to my Mackie HR824's. They sound great... but I just want to make sure that I'm not putting some unnecessary strain at either end. The Mackies have only the XLR inputs.

I think I'm ok - but... your thoughts?

Last edited:
Correction to my above post.... my new-to-me used Mackie HR824's *do* have XLR, RCA, and TRS cable/jack inputs.

Edit: Good grief... I also just discovered that the Mackies have an input sensitivity adjustment. I thought I'd properly gone over all the features of these when I bought them 2-3 months ago. Apparently not. It helps to know your own gear!:D

But yeah... I'm still left wondering if there is some advantage to changing to TRS-toTRS as opposed to the TRS-to-XLR that I've currently got??

Last edited:
David,
The Mackie HR824 expects line level signal at all its input connectors, therefore all the inputs are HiZ.

In Normal mode the Mackie is designed for +4dBu signal input. The nominal output of the HiZ 1/4" TRS phone jacks of the DP_xx Monitor Out is +2 dBu. So that's the connection you should be using for the Mackie.

Using 1/4" TRS phone plugs on the DP side, the connection on the other end of the cable that will be least likely to cause a glitch is a 1/4" TRS phone plug into the Mackie.

The big advantage in using matching connections on each end whenever you can is simplicity and peace of mind (the KISS philosophy).

However, so long as the wiring is consistent there shouldn't be any issues if the cable is 1/4" TSR phone plug on one end, and XLR on the other. Since you aren't experiencing any problems, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. :)

Problems can crop up where TS/TRS/XLR type adapters are used, as this poster discovered when the adapter shorted out the signal:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads...m-power-mixer-to-tascam-dp32.5535/#post-27513

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
You're welcome, David. Glad to help.:)

Correction to my above post.... my new-to-me used Mackie HR824's *do* have XLR, RCA, and TRS cable/jack inputs.

Edit: Good grief... I also just discovered that the Mackies have an input sensitivity adjustment. I thought I'd properly gone over all the features of these when I bought them 2-3 months ago. Apparently not. It helps to know your own gear!:D

But yeah... I'm still left wondering if there is some advantage to changing to TRS-toTRS as opposed to the TRS-to-XLR that I've currently got??

David, I don't think so, because if all other things are equal, then it's just one type of balanced connector vs: another.

Last edited:
David, I don't think so, because if all other things are equal, then it's just one type of balanced connector vs: another.

This is what I was thinking. Thank you!

And I have to tell you... in just 24 hours I have fallen in love with my new Warm Audio WA-2A leveling amplifier. What a wonderful piece of gear. Can't wait to start tracking through it.... but just last night I spent the evening running previously recorded tracks from a demo I've been working on through the WA-2A. *Lovely* analogue warmth.... how sweet it is!

Told ya! That device will help you make your music a living, breathing entity with a life of it's own!

New threads

Members online