Converting the DP-008 to DP-008EX

Two days and everything is perfect!, no errors, no flaws and with all the new benefits of the DP008ex
The best thing for me has been the dynamic effects: Compressor (with very good presets), Exciter, De-esser...

Reactions: dctdct and shredd
Although I still have a problem that I also had with the previous firmware and that I don't think has anything to do with it...

I know it's not the normal use of this equipment, but I use it to play live (I'm a singer) and record my presentations, the thing is that I have always struggled with white or dirty noise, whatever you want to call it, both in my headphones and on my speaker, the white noise is excessive in my opinion, and I have not been able to find how to remove it or at least reduce it, if anyone knows how, I would be very grateful if you could share your experience with me…

Basically the new features are:
  • Mastering Effects
  • Input Effects
  • Stereo Wav file export function (imho, this is the biggest added value)
@Toño DRACO these are the KEY features for me - ESPECIALLY the wave-file export function. This enables me to put a "backing track" I've mixed in my home studio onto the '008 to take to someone's house/whatever so they can put in their bass line, git'r solo, a vox, whatever - then export the track to put into my DP-32 at home, which is where I do all my "real" studio work. Can't WAIT!!!:D

Reactions: Toño DRACO
Although I still have a problem that I also had with the previous firmware and that I don't think has anything to do with it...

I know it's not the normal use of this equipment, but I use it to play live (I'm a singer) and record my presentations, the thing is that I have always struggled with white or dirty noise, whatever you want to call it, both in my headphones and on my speaker, the white noise is excessive in my opinion, and I have not been able to find how to remove it or at least reduce it, if anyone knows how, I would be very grateful if you could share your experience with me
I agree - it would appear that this noise problem is a product of your use/deployment of the unit, or OTHER components of your setup...NOT the DP's firmware (either original or updated).
I'm at the very bottom of the heap in terms of expertise...but I'd suggest that this has something to do with routing (noise added to signal during the "chain" - perhaps from your mic, preamp/interface?); or even something in the area of gain-staging (probably way too much gain at some point in the "chain")...
Maybe those are things you could look into...

If I'm right - let me know. I need the ego boost.:LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Toño DRACO
That's my approach too Shredd.

I know it's not the normal use of this equipment, but I use it to play live (I'm a singer) and record my presentations, the thing is that I have always struggled with white or dirty noise, whatever you want to call it, both in my headphones and on my speaker, the white noise is excessive in my opinion, and I have not been able to find how to remove it or at least reduce it, if anyone knows how, I would be very grateful if you could share your experience with me…

I believe this issue might be related to the cables your are using to connect your sources to your recorder. What cables are you using?

I have a Tascam Audio interface and I was struggling with noise from different sources. I tried many cheap cables until I decided to buy a better quality cable and the noise was gone.

The cables that I am currently using are Balanced TRS 16AWG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHCV9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zero noise using this sort of cable.

Two days and everything is perfect!, no errors, no flaws and with all the new benefits of the DP008ex
The best thing for me has been the dynamic effects: Compressor (with very good presets), Exciter, De-esser...

That's nice! Enjoy!

@Guilhmerme, Nice work on this mod. I just did the header modification and loaded it onto my DP-008, worked fine. As you said of course time will tell but looks good to me so far as an EX.

Also makes sense as to why they would come out with the EX as a new machine. There were enough new features that would push it past just a typical firmware upgrade.

As to support and warranty concerns the DP-008 machine is old enough, and cheap enough used, not be a care.

Thanks.

Reactions: shredd
these are the KEY features for me - ESPECIALLY the wave-file export function. This enables me to put a "backing track" I've mixed in my home studio onto the '008 to take to someone's house/whatever so they can put in their bass line, git'r solo, a vox, whatever
But that would require a wave-file import feature...?

But that would require a wave-file import feature...?
It would surely help - to put a click-track, backing track to record to, whatever, ONTO the unit...
But what I realllly need is to be able to have someone record their thing onto the unit, then be able to get the track OUT for placing into my home-studio (DP-32) projects...

The Short Version:
I have done this firmware update to an ordinary DP-008 and it went EXACTLY as described. Smooth as silk. The unit now boots with a screen like the OP, with firmware v1.01 and running as a DP-008EX.

I think kudos/"hail-yea"s are in order for @Guilherme - the OP who laid this out. Youz be a geenyus!!!:cool:

For the gear-nutz and tech-nerds among us, I'll post below a more in-depth description and details.

Last edited:
For those of you wanting to try this, you'll have to read through the thread from the start. There's a lot of detail and moving parts, and some VERY important things to do right/get right, to avoid either failure, or worse yet, "bricking" your device!!!

The first thing you do is d/load the v1.01 firmware update from Tascam's website for the DP-008EX.
Then you have to do the hex-edit modification as described in posts above. I did it EXACTLY as the OP did - using the hexedit.it website - and following his instructions TO THE LETTER. The part about checking to see that the "modded" file is EXACTLY the same size in bytes is critical, so that your machine doesn't "reject" the update file as corrupt or incorrect/inapplicable, because the checksum is off.

The instructions for running a firmware update are super-straightforward. But follow THOSE 'to the letter'; and MAKE SURE you have not only a reliable power connection, but PUT GOOD BATTERIES IN THE UNIT to make sure no power interruption happens during the 15 seconds it takes to execute. This is not BS and cannot be overstated.
And, of course, the usual disclaimer - you attempt this at your own risk. No liability for any attempt will be taken.

That's pretty much it. I now have a DP-008 which is operating as a fully-featured and fully-functional DP-008EX!
My observations so afar:
  • The wav import/export functions seem to be the same. This unit uses that dummazz system where it stores it's recorded tracks in a 'native' format on one partition (formatted to a Tascam-native system), and converts them to standard *.wav files and puts them on an FAT partition for transferring to/from a puter. WhatEVER!!!
  • But the input dynamics features of the EX are there - and these are GREAT. You can choose from a decent compressor, an exciter, or a noise suppressor. I've used all of these on my DP-32 and they're all excellent.
  • Haven't tried the mastering tools the EX includes, but I expect them to be just as useful!
Any questions - ask; if I think of something I left out, I'll edit post.
And if you want me to do this to your DP-008, stop over with nachos & Dr. Pepper, and we'll get 'er done.:D

Last edited:
EDIT!!! - this problem has been resolved and I have LEFT my original post (below) - but the issue has been resolved. Explanation:
IT TURNS OUT that the "HISTORY" button on the front panel of the DP-008 - which "became" the "TRACK EDIT" button on the DP-008EX - after the "hack" is done, NOW FUNCTIONS AS THE "TRACK EDIT" BUTTON as is found on the '008EX, instead of as the "HISTORY" button (for moving back/forth in your steps done) as originally designed.
So the unit no longer gives you the "list" of steps you've done, or gives you the opportunity to see them in a list and "go back" to a point in your steps. You can do ONE STEP of "undo/redo" with THAT button on the '008's front panel...but you lose the capacity to "move back" to a previous point in your recording steps.

SO: ALL "track edit" functions ARE INTACT!!! - just accessed with the "HISTORY" button on the front panel of the '008.
You just lose the "HISTORY" button's function, which was surely nice, and of real value/use.

SORRY FOR THE FREAK-OUT.
Being stewpyd when you're a musician is a real burden!!!:oops::confused:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
WARNING!!!
OK guys...I found out WHY this hack isn't a "thing" and why no one ever talks about it (besides here) and why you'll NEVER see Tascam say it's possible:

Having done this to my DP-008, I discovered WHY it's not a "thing':
ALL of the DP-008's track editing features are accessed IN THE MENU. This is necessary because there is NO "Track Edit" button on the front panel.
Conversely: The DP-008EX DOES have a "Track Edit" button on the front panel, and therefore those functions ARE NOT ACCESSABLE from the "EX"-version menu.
SO: when you do this hack and turn your DP-008 into an '008EX - YOU NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS TO ANY TRACK EDIT FUNCTIONS!!!

Now for some people, this is no biggie - and they'll sacrifice those functions for the benefit of the input processing, etc.
Speaking for myself - losing the inability to move, copy, paste, delete parts or whole tracks - ANY kind of editing - IS NOT WORTH THE NEW FUNCTIONS.

So - there it is. I'm officially recommending against it.

NOW HERE'S MY PROBLEM:
Trying to "turn" my hacked unit BACK into a REGULAR DP-008!
I d/loaded the regular DP-008 firmware, put it on the SD card, and ran the firmware update procedure...and the unit now REFUSES the firmware - you get an error message ("PRODUCT ERROR).
I tried the ol' hexedit hack to turn the bytes in the header of the ORIGINAL DP-008 firmware file to "DP008EX", thinking that my hacked unit would now recognize the file and run it.
IT DID NOT. The same error message.

SO: if ANYONE knows how to do a "hard factory reset" on a DP-008, let me know. I want to return it to its' ORIGINAL state.

Last edited:
Shredd, thanks for your detailed validation on all of the features, I really didn't have the time to go through that amazing level of detail, you did an amazing work and review!

Just for my clarification about resetting the unit to the original firmware:
You are saying that you downloaded the original 008 version, updated the header to "DP-008EX", right?

I think there was a mistake in this step, since the original header for the new version (EX) is different, actually is: "DP008EX" (without the dash). You can confirm it on the original EX firmware file.

If that is the case, can you try one more time, removing the dash, just to check if we properly addressed the rollback process for future users? (remember to keep everything beyond the first seven bytes intact)

I think there was a mistake in this step, since the original header for the new version (EX) is different, actually is: "DP008EX" (without the dash). You can confirm it on the original EX firmware file.
Hi @Guilherme - I made a typo/error in my post (which I'm going to go FIX, so no one else points out my glaring ignorance!!!):
When I did your ORIGINAL hexedit (to the EX firmware, to make it run on a regular '008) it went PERFECTLY.
When I did the hexedit to the 'standard' DP-008's firmware (becuase it wouldn't run on a unit that "thought" it was an EX) I did indeed simply add the "EX" to the model ID, NOT a "dash" (as in "DP-800"). After modding, the original-version f/ware update was changed from "DP800" to DP800EX"...
But STILL gave the "MODEL ERROR" message when run on the 'psuedo EX'...

SO - having discovered that the (very important) track-editing menu IS still available (by using the unit's "history" button, which was relabeled/retasked on the EX)...I've decided that the only thing I "lost" was the original EX's "undo history" list, which was previously accessed by that button.
SO I'm keeping it as a "hacked" 008EX. Those input dynamics fx (compr'r, noise suppressor, exciter) are VERY handy..

the only thing I "lost" was the original EX's "undo history" list, which was previously accessed by that button.
AAAAAANDD...in a further demonstration of how annoying it is to be an IDJYUT and a musician at the same time...

Was reading in the 008EX's manual online...and discovered (on page 49) that the "undo history list" IS available, by pushing and HOLDING the "UN/REDO" button.
A single push will simply undo/redo the LAST step/operation...but HOLDING the button gives you a list so that you can return to a different point in the list of operations done.

So - it turns out the the hack from DP-008 to 008EX has not caused ANY loss of ANY functions (that I've found so far) - but DOES add those nice EX features.

It is SO difficult trying to be a musician and operate the gear when you're stewpyd!!!:oops::confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
OK, @shredd, I normally smile about your remarks of being stewpyd, because it doesn't seem that bad at all, but this time I have to agree :D

All I can add is RTF-new, EX-M...

Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
All I can add is RTF-new, EX-M
I KNOW, riiiight???
I don't claim to be any kinda rocket-surgeon...and I'm as self-deprecating as any ordinary musician.
But "RTFM" should be a no-brainer even for me. I'm seriously embarrassed.:oops:

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-

New threads

Members online