OK, X48-ers - who's had a recent "failure to boot" issue?

Where were you when I started this adventure? Good to know there is an alternative to the impossible to find IWill motherboard.

Shoot, I wish I had known too when I started this adventure! LOL
Just holler at me on the thread I started with what I've done if you need any more details.

Hi everybody,

moved to another continent and the X48 problems are still alive. After months of no use, EVEN with another motherboard (in this case a Hewlett Packard with P4 Intel chipset), the BSOD has returned !
What should I do ? I would love to sell the machine for pieces on eB....... sure
I am sick of it. Today, a total HDD format just to loose a lot of projects but just it.

Greetings, all: Yeah, I had another lovely chat with the fine product support fellows in Montebello, CA and I now have received a detailed .pdf download on the bios setup issue.

This isn't some reprint from the service manual, no way - it's a HANDWRITTEN set of instructions from Ed (the bench tech), with subsequent screen shots of the actual settings desired. Because the order in which bios is reset is important, the screen shots are labeled with numbers, and the notes prompt the actions required.
I read the whole thing, and it does seem to match what we did on the phone. If anyone trying to do this gets confused, just calm down and start over - you can't blow the thing up if you hit the wrong key. I find re-reading the words often helps; sometimes it doesn't correctly register in the brain-pan the first time....Cheerio!
HellvisP.

X48 Bios Set Up.pdf
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello and sorry to put you to work after all this time.

I diligently read your advice and indeed my breakdown corresponds to the problem you describe, so I downloaded your precious instructions for performing a Reset of the BiOS.

But being very far from knowing in pure computing and even less on Windows, I have 3 questions left:

1/ I read somewhere that on windows computers, with the machine off, if you remove the battery for at least 15 seconds, it reset the BiOS autommatically ?

Is there a risk in doing this?

2 / In step 5 you indicate to enter or define a password ?

because the password for my X 48 I do not have one !

Or the process F10 and to Clic on the letter Y on keyboard will work anyway,

3/ I don't understand your formula at the beginning,

"Go to I Will Smart Setting", is that really marked somewhere when you turn on the machine??

The following is the explanation of my problem, I put it for other members to compare, but I believe your BiOS Reset is the solution, and thanks again.

And I confirm, I buy a second-hand X 48 it works, I say to myself hey it's old, I'm going to change the battery, I turn off, I change the battery, and I turn it back on, doesn't work anymore and no way to format my drive after the full proces from my boot CD!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Well I know that the X 48 is no longer produced and that many of you no longer use it but for me it remains very valuable for lots of uses.

So I keep a little hope if someone has experienced the same kind of problem as me:

Everything works perfectly everywhere, the hard disk too, I checked, everything was working, but suddenly, and that probably, finally I suppose, following the change of the battery which generates the date of the day,

No longer possible to access the opening of the basic project window and therefore no longer access to anything.

So I tried again starting from the OS of the original CD, as well as more recent OS 1.2

loaded from the Tascam Europe site.

I know the procedure perfectly except that each time I arrive, at the end of the attempt to reinstall the OS, on the window:

"An error occured while formatting your OS Drive"

"Sorry the installation Failed"

I know the machine, Sata connections etc, very well inside out, and on one of my X48's I even changed the internal hard drive to a bigger one with success, so I tried absolutely everything.

And of course first of all I replaced the internal hard drive but that was not the problem,

and even also to preformat it externally to NTFS, but that wasn't the problem either!

The feeling I have is that everything works "hardware" perfectly up to the motherboard but there is a bug, a computer impossibility or a shortcut, or a key combination, or an operation, a thing to know, I don't know, somewhere to make it work!!

So in case you faced the same problem and solved it,

I'll take it .

THANK YOU THANK YOU for having reading me until there

Patrick "From Paris" (Sound engineer of http://www.studioalaville.com )

It's me again sorry, WhenI power on my X48 how can I have access to the Display screen that is shown on the PDF of BiOS Reset ?
Sorry the site doesn't allow me to send a picture of the screen

Bonjour Patrick!

Yes, those machines are well worth saving - I still have and use two. Even with original motherboards and expanded size drives, they work perfectly with latest (and final) MKII firmware.

Your issue, I suspect, is that the bios is a SPECIFIC instruction set for that dedicated box's operation. Hence, no automatic reset for boot. The name of the motherboard is IWILL, for some obtuse reason. That is what you're addressing. As for the password, I believe I skipped that step (been so long I don't recall), but if not try the obvious ("TASCAM" or "X48"). The .pdf instructions have worked for many other fellows, so even as my senility progresses, I think all the details are in place!

Glad to hear my international efforts are still in use!

A bientot -

HellvisP

P>S> Obviously, you need to be using an external screen for this work. Can't imagine doing it on the front panel. Your mouse and keyboard inputs are direct to the DOS level of motherboard.
HP

A big thank you for your reply .
On the other hand I do not see how to access the Reset BIOS window, because of course I have an external display plugged in sub-D VGA, a keyboard in "PS2" (rather than USB ... by precaution), and a mouse, but when I turn on the x 48, (without boot CD), it does not go to the (DOS level) I have a window with lots of lines, but that does not seem to offer the Possibility of access to the Reset Bios window, and if I put a boot CD already inside, it goes directly to the process that brings me to the formatting bug.

Unfortunately, the forum does not allow me to send a photo, (I do not know why, he tells me that I do not have permission! )
For instance ti displays :
Intel UNDI, PXE-2 ...
For Realtek ....
PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check Cable
Intel Boot Agent version
CLIENT MAC ADDR
PXE-E51 : No DHCP or ProxyDHCP....;
(etc.. and all this usual stuf)

If you have a solution for access to the DOS Level, thank you for giving it, but I'm aware that you are not there to do "After Sales Service" ;), So do not waste too much time on it, do not feel "obliged", and maybe another member can give me advice to that purpose !

So Long :) as they say in the Western ! :)

Oh, after reading ALL this thread with a great attention, and translate it (thanks Google), I realize that may be to have access to tne "BiOS reset", I must take off the battery for a few 10 -15 minutes, and then if I start the X 48 again , may be in this case I will have the screen
"BiOS reset"to follow the instructions of your PDF, or may be clic on a F1 or other button, what do you think ?

I saw that I could have the V 2.03 firmware on my X48 but on the Europe Tascam Website it does not appear . Where did you find it ? Any Link ?

Of course I let you know , and to all the members what happens .

Bonjour Patrick:
As we say in Hawaii - Stand tall in the saddle and ride-em paniolo!! Yes you need some help with the interface. Sadly, it was so long ago that I crashed through the process, that I've totally forgotten! Bad enough that at 70yrs I still have to fly FOUR DAW's in rotation....think I'll go for a swim......
HP

Dear Elvis ,
I think I suceeded , too late in Paris to give all the details , but if the success is full, I will do it, , as far as it might help the members of this community to !

MANUAL

The one that TASCAM does not provide to users of its machine!
When the battery is removed all BiOS data is "erased".

Super important because indicates where the Mothercard must connect, USB keyboard possible?
FW IEE1394 possible for external HDD? And plenty of other things,
But it is the Battery that keeps all this data

Your BiOS allows you to configure the operation of your components (clock speed, timings, etc etc). The problem is that the chip the BIOS is on, can only be READ, so changes made are stored on another chip called CMOS for Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor, I expect battery powered.

As a precaution, after changing the battery, I first unplug the X48 if I had left it plugged in.

Sometimes we are lucky, it restarts normally, but in general the X48 no longer opens on a project, and displays lots of windows , with screened in front of the device
"HOST NOT RESPONDING"

And if you have a Boot CD inside, thinking it's a problem of Hard internal drive, it will do the whole process, and when you want to partition and format the internal hard drive, at the end of the process it will tell you

"An error occured while formatting your OS drive, (with usual Bla Blastuf about "Technical Support"...which is unreachable !)

Before being saved by this site, and the Posts of HelllvisPreley and others, I spent whole days trying to find the solution for this Big mess…Save my data on a computer, or other hard drive, try to reformat everything ,etc .. I'll spare you the details!

To save you from all my Bla-Bla, I put the description of the programming of the BiOS in another next Post, and if you trust me, you can send me an Email so that I send you photos of the process, because this site does not allow me to send it in my post, I don't know why.
My website is studioalaville where my Mail is .

PROGRAMMING THE BiOS

Pitfall No. 1
You have to connect with a PS2 Keyboard…. it seems!

(The USB keyboard connection on an old X48 is also programmed in the BiOS!)

The first element to access the BiOS programming is;
As soon as the X48 turns on, and see the Display screen,
you must PRESS THE SUPPR KEY

Here is Pitfall N° 2 not the DELETE key with the arrow to the left which is used in Word for example to erase, but the SUPPR KEY
(you need a keyboard where it really appears, somewhere at the top right)

And there we finally have access to the setting window for all the elements of the BiOS
At each sub-window, exit by ESCAPE, and finally exit and save by F10 and then
the classic X 48 Project window reappears!! MIRACLE !!

LIST OF SETTINGS TO MAKE IN THE BIOS

The way to change values, to move, etc.; are marked at the bottom of the window,
even me, I understood !

1/ Go to the line "I will smart setting" / ENTER

Line : Change on-chip serial ATA set to ( ENABLED )

Line : Serial ATA Port0 mode, set to ( SATA0 Master )

Line : On Board 1394 line set on ( ENABLED )

ESCAPE

2/ Go to the line : "Cmos features" / ENTER

Set date and time

Line : Drive A, set to "NONE"

Line : Halt On, set to "No Errors"

ESCAPE

3/ Go to the Line : "Advanced BiOS Features" / ENTER

Line : First Boot device set to (CD-ROM)

Line : Third Boot Device set to (DISABLED)

Line Boot Other Device set to (DISABLED)

ESCAPE

4/ Go to the Line "Integrated Peripherals" / ENTER

then Line "Onboard Device" / ENTER

Line : USB Keyboard Support set to ( ENABLED )

Line : USB Mouse support, set to ( ENABLED )

ESCAPE

(Then, still in Integrated Peripherals, go to ..

Line : Super IO DEVICE / ENTER

Line : Onboard fdc Controller set to (DISABLED)

Line : PWRON After Pwr-fail to, put on (Former-Sts)

ESCAPE

And eventually, recheck everything,

Otherwise…., F10 for Save, and there it displays a Y for yes ,
and / ENTER and it's gone!
Everything is saved, there will be a little time, then it's MAGIC
we will FINALLY see the Projects window reappear with its Tracks!!

I did not take care of the Supervisor and User Password lines,
and the lines that I do not quote in this manual, I left them
as they were
If you want Photos send me an email to http://www.studioalaville.com
where my Mail is.

Reactions: mixerizer

New threads

Members online

No members online now.