Recording USB computer output to mixer

jbarnhardt

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi all. I feel like I must be missing something obvious, but I've been unable to figure out how to record the USB-delivered output of my computer to a Model 12 track. I have the M12 hooked up to my computer as a USB interface, and the computer's stereo outputs show up as expected as channels 1&2 on the mixer. I can route them as desired to main or sub busses and for real-time playback everything is great. The use case I can't figure out is when I need to record myself singing along to something playing back from the computer and want to capture both my singing and the computer-played backing track (it's for an ear training class). I prefer to record on the M12 natively (rather than use it as an input into a DAW).

Whether I have channels 1&2 set to Live, PC or MTR, nothing seems to be recorded to tracks 1&2 even when they're armed to record. I can work around this by using a patch cable to connect analog audio out from my computer to channels 1&2 inputs but the audio quality is noticeably inferior compared to the USB connection. I am not a pro, just an audio hobbyist so it's quite possible there's an easy solution to this. I have searched the forums here fairly extensively and could not find this topic addressed elsewhere. Thanks very much for any assistance that can be offered!

-John in Seattle

Reactions: Rocky
That is not expected behavior.

I have the Model 12 and just tried the same thing as you describe.
Track 1 & 2 set to mode PC - receiving a backing track playing via USB on Mac
Track 3 set to mode Live - direct input guitar

I armed tracks 1,2,3 (track REC buttons) and hit the main record button.
The model 12 successfully recorded the backing track to tracks 1&2 and my guitar to track 3.

If your unit isn't doing the same thing, then you're either missing a step, or your Model 12 is faulty.
Sorry I cannot help but you should definitely be able to do what you are attempting.

Cheers, Rocky

Rocky - that is great to hear, thanks very much for the speedy response! It certainly seemed like something I should be able to do... I'll play around with it a bit more and see if I can't figure out what's going on. Thanks again.

-John

Reactions: Rocky

New threads

Members online