SCSI Card

wolf

Veteran
Gear owned
2 SX-1 LE+ DVRA1000 CD-01U
my FTP isn't working again and I need to back-up my files...
I read an old post from radside and vermondi, so I just bought a Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2 Scsi LVD/SE Card to use so I can transfer files to an external hard drive...I also purchased a Maxtor SCSI 36g HD...I need to buy the 68-pin external cable...
what else do I need to install this in my LE Plus? is there an internal cable or cables I need?
please help...I need to back-up my files asap!
thanks

The SCSI on my MX-2424 requires an active terminator at the end of the SCSI chain. I'm pretty sure you'll need one too. The cable that I bought had one installed on the end of it.

is that an internal cable? do you have a link to the cable you bought? I really have no idea how to do this or which cable I need...thanks

there's a lot of 2 for $16+s&h on eBay...this is obviously an internal cable and one end attaches to the scsi card, where does the other end attach? or should I know this?

HAH!! One end goes in the SCSI card on the computer and the other will go on the 36G hard drive you bought (if that's what you're backing up to). You'll have to open up the computer to power up the hard drive. Most power supplies have spare power plugs that you can use for the SCSI drive. Once it's all connected up, you should see the new drive as another drive letter in explorer/finder. Good luck!

OK...I'm confused (again)...the SCSI card on the computer or the SX? the ribbon cable you sent the link to is for my PC? what about the SCSI card in the SX? does that need any additional cables?

I don't own an SX so I'm not sure how that's configured. The cable I sent you the link to could be used to connect any SCSI devices, including CD/DVD writers. It looks like the SX has a SCSI port on the back.

Somehow you have to output your files out of the SX and onto the hard drive. The machine I have has a decent users manual that steps through the backup process. Check the Tascam site in the downloads and see what the literature says. Sorry I don't know more about this machine.

http://tascam.com/product/sx-1/overview/

-andrew

the SX-1 LE Plus doesn't come with the SCSI card, so I'm installing one and need help hooking it up...

hey Andrew...it's actually kind of funny when you think about it! I should have checked to see what Tascam products you owned first and then I wouldn't have wasted your time with my questions...sorry...
I thought it might be just a matter of installing the card and then the SX would recognize it and I would simply run a cable from the card to an external HD...
I'm pretty sure it's more complicated than that though...
is there anyone on the forum still who's done this or knows how to?

maybe someone has a picture of the card installed that I could look at?
I really have no idea how to do this and my FTP is working when it feels like it (which is not very often)...it worked for a minute yesterday and then froze...it wasn't working at all when I tried it a moment later...but that's an entirely different issue, I imagine...
I just need some safe and fast way to b/u my work...
please...if one of my fellow SX'ers out there has a picture or can help in any way, I would truly appreciate it...thanks

Last edited:
so now I have the card, but I have no idea what cable(s) should be attached to it in order to make it function...and my FTP is still not working...

Sorry there are no SX-1 users that can weigh in. That card looks like a PCI one. If you heard that it would work, that would mean there would have to be a slot in the machine that it fits in to. My PCI slots are white. Once that is done, you would hook up the SCSI cable to the card and the other end to the HD. The HD will have to be powered. Once again, if someone else has had success with this then there should be a power cable with 4 wires that has a plug that will fit into the back of the HD. The power cables on my PC are Yellow, Black, Black, Red with a white connector.

Once that is done, there should be some way on the machine to select that drive in the backup sequence (probably by SCSI ID). If you have any pictures of the machine opened up, I might could help a little more. I could not find a layout of the board on line.

-andrew

I want to run a cable from the card to an external HD...would this card connect to the internal HD by any chance? once it was hooked up to the SX's internal HD, I would then run a cable from the card's SCSI port to an external unit, for back-up...
does that sound feasible?
I don't want to take a chance and do something that would jeopardize what's on my HD right now and I also can't find any pictures of the card installed in an SX 1 anywhere...
there's a section in the Release notes about backing up, that discusses the SCSI card, but not how to install it...
I'm not a computer savvy guy (as a few of you are well aware), although I've done quite a few things to my SX's over the years...I would have no problem with the SCSI card install, if someone could walk me through it or has an SX-1 or SX-1SE with the card already installed and can take a picture..I have the SX-1 LE Plus, which doesn't have the SCSI card factory installed (neither does the SX-1 LE)...
I know the SX is old news to most people, but I still love mine and hope someday to have my other SX up and running again (my other is an SX-1 LE Plus also)...it was great having the 2 of them synced together...

Last edited:
this didn't post for some reason, but I just received a reply from cmaffia stating:
"Internal or external.. it should work with the same SCSI cable".
the SX-1 can only have one hard drive installed internally and I need a second hard drive for back-up...so I need to install the card and hook up the cable to the scsi port to an external hard drive while the internal hard drive is still in the SX...

You need to correct ribbon which accommodates 2 SCSI drives and you need to terminate the last SCSI drive in the chain. Then again I am not an SX-1 owner nor do I know if the SX-1 supports more than one SCSI drive. If it does, then what I stated is correct. Funny, I work in Melville.

Your question:
would this card connect to the internal HD by any chance? ---NO. The new HD will connect to the new card that will be put in the machine. You would then select it from the backup screen. See below.

The SX-1 is modeled after the MX-2424 so there is some similarity to the machines. Look at page 191 of the user's manual. It discusses option cards (which is what the SCSI card you bought would be). You should put the card in one of the slots. It should have a 68 pin connector on the outside that you can connect your cable to (mine has one on the inside too). There's a picture of the slots with a SCSI card in one of them on page 193. That's what your's should look like.

At this point you need to power the new HD you have. The simplest way is to connect it to a tower computer's power supply. It does not have to connect to the computer, just use its power source. Connect the drive to the SCSI cable in any of the open connectors.

At this point, the card is in the machine, the hard drive has power and the two of them are connected with your new cable. Now you should be able to go in the SX and back up by choosing the new drive from the "Backup Volume" drop down (see page 179).

This seems simpler than you are making it. So you bought a SCSI card that will install into your SX-1. I am assuming once installed it will have an external SCSI connector which you would plug the cable for your external drive... is this correct?? If so, this should be exactly like any PC with an SCSI card to an external SCSI drive. All you need to do is make sure you buy the correct SCSI-2 cable that will fit on the backplane of the Tekram card as well as the SCSI connector on the external drive.

OR

Is there a way to install the new Maxtor SCSI drive inside the SX-1? If so then you could use the internal SCSI connectors on the Tekram and connect the Maxtor to it. Again you'd have to purchase the correct cable. Again, to me this seems like the exact procedure one would use on a PC with SCSI drives. I did this often back in the day with this exact same Tekram model and the popular Adaptec cards of the day. I can't tell what cables you need but the research shouldn't be difficult for you as you have both the SCSI controller and your Maxtor drive right there in front of you.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online