Tascam DP24 Trim Knob static

Brother Tom

Gear owned
Tascam DP 24
I've had a DP24 for a about 6 years and made many recordings on it. In the past year I've started experiencing a static noise when adjusting the trim knobs. It started with just one or two, but now all eight do it. When I adjust the knob to the right it is not allowing the full input from the mic or input device, the level is low. If I tap or twist the knob back and forth the signal will sometimes suddenly increase to the correct level. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. Can you suggest any solutions?

Hi Tom, and welcome to the Tascam Forums.

Eventually, they all do that. After 6 years it's due some contact cleaner. One of the best is Deoxit. There are many posts on the forum about cleaning controls and switches with Deoxit. If you can't get that brand, any high quality electrical contact cleaner will help.

Reactions: Mark Richards
MJK -

Thank you! I suspected that was the problem but wanted to check and see if any of the members had input. I'll try cleaning them and see if it works.

Reactions: -mjk-
You're welcome Tom. Be sure and post a follow up and let us know results.

Do I just spray this directly under the knobs?

if you can take the knob off the shaft, that will allow you to get to the best spot to squirt from. Some pots have a small hole for this purpose.

Reactions: -mjk-
If you are spraying from the top, take off the knob if possible and use a short shot of spray at the base of the rotary shaft where it meets the body of the control. Immediately work the control back and forth. You should feel less resistance as the cleaner works its way into the control. You may want to give it 1 or 2 more short shots. A little goes a long way.

The best way of course is to disassemble the unit and spray though the access holes in all the controls and switches.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.