Tascam DR-05X stuck on hold

IrishChippy

Gear owned
DX-05X
A few days ago my DR-05X got stuck on hold screen.
This in effect makes the recorder unusable. None of the buttons can be used except in USB mode (Bus mode/sd card/Audio i/F)
The switch itself is working fine, as I did a continuity test with it's 3 terminals. Inside is clean and no signs of damage
I have seldom used the hold feature on this recorder, so it is very annoying.
Does anyone know how the switch works in the circuit? It obviously doesn't just disable the buttons, as they work in USB mode, plus they send a screen message of 'hold on' when pressed. If I could just bypass the 'hold' feature permanently I would be happy

Have you pulled the batteries and let it sit for half an hour to deplete internal charges, and replaced the batteries to restart?
What if anything are you seeing on the screen? Any system messages?
Can you ID the firmware version?

Reactions: IrishChippy
Thank you. On Sunday when it first happened it began to work again after the batteries were out for a while, but then went back to locked. Then on Tuesday I left them out overnight, and it worked for a short while. Now it will not work at all. The message on the screen is 'Hold on' with a sketch of the switch.

I can't find instructions on doing a "hard reset" with the DR-05x. Most models have a power up method where you hold down one or more buttons and then push the button used for power up. That's a lower level reset than using Initialize, which you can't get to now anyway.

Some models have a Test Mode to bring up diagnostic messages. On my DR-40 the combination is "Quick" + "|<<" + "Home" but I can't find a sequence mentioned in the same breath as DR-05X.

One other kick at the can when my unit got intermittent shutdowns on its own was, it was stable if I powered it from USB all the time instead of batteries; but still have good batteries installed. From then on when I had 1 hour non-stop sessions to record was I brought an AC powered USB adapter as standard operating procedure.

Contacting Tascam tech support directly at this point would be my suggestion. I needed them once with my DR-40 and they were responsive.

Thank you for that Sir. Where can I contact Tascam for assistance?

I sent a message by web form to Tascam 3 days ago, but as of this time I have only got auto generated email confirming receipt of query.

It has been almost a week now, and I have only received the auto generated email from noreplyATteacDOTcom
Does Teac normally have bad customer service?

I haven't needed to contact Tascam support for a few years but it was better than that. He had never encountered my issue of random sudden power offs so all I got back was the usual "update your firmware." It was already current so that was no help.

If you've left your unit without batteries long enough that it's forgotten the correct time I'd say you've cleared the memory's charge. For $hits and giggles if it were me, I would then put in fresh batteries AND plug it into a USB wall adapter before starting it up the next time. My DR-40 became more reliable when kept on an adapter. Nothing to lose if Tascam can't come up with something. I have been looking online and I'm stumped.

I haven't needed to contact Tascam support for a few years but it was better than that. He had never encountered my issue of random sudden power offs so all I got back was the usual "update your firmware." It was already current so that was no help.

If you've left your unit without batteries long enough that it's forgotten the correct time I'd say you've cleared the memory's charge. For $hits and giggles if it were me, I would then put in fresh batteries AND plug it into a USB wall adapter before starting it up the next time. My DR-40 became more reliable when kept on an adapter. Nothing to lose if Tascam can't come up with something. I have been looking online and I'm stumped.
I was able to update the firmware to V1.12 as access to the file system (SD card reader) menu did not activate the 'hold'. So far it it working okay, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I had bought a Sony 470, as I had videos to do for Amazon and yt. Now I have backup and hopefully both will stay working. I use with a lavalier all the time.
Thank you so much to everyone here for advice. I will post back in a week or two and tell you how it is going.

Reactions: BazzBass
Is your DR-05 back to normal?

I never use the Hold switch on the side of the recorder but this morning my unit was showing a hold switch icon on the screen. I cant remember ever seeing that. Wiggling the actual hold switch a few times did nothing. Removing the batteries until it lost its settings did not solve it. Plugging the DR-05 via USB got it running normally and did an "initialize" via the menu and also "full format" but it was still locked in hold when not plugged in via USB. I assumed i was on the latest firmware but i wasn't. So i updated the firmware to 2.50 ( i was on 2.22) and that seems to have solved the problem. Its working normally on batteries which is 99% how i use it. I only really plug the usb cable in to get the files onto my computer. My unit was bought new and has been in use for 4 years. Sometimes i am using it every day but if i averaged it out i would say i have been using it a couple of times a week for the past 4 years. Its been a great recorder, no problems until today.

Just adding since "fixing" my DR-05 the Hold icon has appeared twice and disappeared. It just flicks on and then is gone. The recorder is usable, no problems but it is disconcerting. You have the feeling the recorder may lock up at any moment. It would be good if there was some input by Tascam and a reliable fix or confirmation that the recorder is on its way out? I will email Tascam and see what they say.

Hold problem is back. Fully locked again and can only be used with USB power. Awaiting Tascams response.

Tascam replied to my email very fast and basically said there is a hardware fault with the power control on the Main PCB and advised to send it in for repair.

If anyone has this HOLD fault in the future and comes across this thread, the only way to unlock and use my recorder is plug in USB power and also have batteries in the unit. USB power without batteries will not unlock the recorder for me. Time to buy a new recorder.

Just took a photo but am unable to upload the file, i dont have permission. Nothing is working as it should at the moment!

Just had the same problem with my Tascam DR1000 MKIII
No need to use USB power.
I just did what it said to do on the picture with the text Hold All. Put all the switches to the right side and then turn on the power. Then it turns on without any problem. Still a pain in the backside though. To turn it off you have to go through the same procedure.

Just worked out that when you managed to get in, you need to switch it off with the Hold button on the left side in the middle position and you will be right.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online