TM D8000 - "The Main CPU Cannot Be Started.." MIDI dump?

Hello.

Just for the story, I bought the first TMD-8000 imported in France in 1998 and I still love this machine.

I have the same problem with my TMD-8000... But my problem is to know where is the battery inside the console... There's a lot of bolts !!! And I want to know if I must unscrew all of them or if it's simpliest....

Thanks for your replies

A french owner. :cool:

Salut, on peut échanger en français, je vais essayer de changer la pile de ma tm d8000 vendredi, je suis au sud de Paris (villejuif), je te tiendrai informé concernant l'opération, sinon voici mon n° de tel : 06 64 28 87 83 (dominique Sablier), si tu as eu la tienne depuis si longtemps, tu dois bien la connaitre et moi j'ai plein de questions sans réponses : comment faire le midi dump après le changement de la pile, comment la démarrer en mode diagnostique... j'ai trouvé les 3 fichiers midi indispensables, j'ai reçu la pile (CR2450), ya plus qu'à... mais je n'ai pas de manuel pour les fonctions avancées... à bientôt.

Salut à toi camarade

Merci de ta réponse

Pour le mode diagnostique, c'est assez coton, il faut prévoir un démarrage au "kick". Je m'explique. Il faut avant allumage presser simultanément sur mtrsend/return (celui à droite de la section centrale), shift (à droite de l'écran) et le bouton rec ready 19 (sur le bargraphe). Donc vu qu'il faut 2 mains pour pouvoir faire ça, à moins d'être 2, prévoir une rallonge avec interrupteur histoire de démarrer au pied.

Pour le rete, je n'ai hélas pas le manuel, scandaleusement introuvable sur le net. A tous hasards, j'ai laissé un mail sur le service technique Tascam US. Apparemment ils répondent encore concernant cette console. Je devrai avoir des news dans les 2 jours.

Edit:

Re-salut à toi

Pour le MIDI Dump, j'ai testé les fichiers, ils sont bons. J'ai utilisé un Cubase 5 version PC, allumé la console, tombé direct sur la page d'erreur qui demande un dump, lancé la lecture du fichier "main". Le dump démarre automatiquement, puis la console a tenté de flasher les roms, mais sans pile, erreur fatale.

Attention, j'ai tenté de lire le midifile sur d'autres logiciels que cubase, ça plante.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, merci pour les infos, vendredi je démonte la table pour remplacer la pile, je pourrai après t'expliquer comment y accéder.

Salut à toi... Je te remercie...

Dernière info. Une fois téléchargés, les fichiers mid sont curieusement sensibles à la gravure. Ce qui veut dire qu'il vaut mieux les ouvrir (surtout le "main") depuis l'ordi sur lesquels ils ont été téléchargés. J'ai du transférer entre 2 ordis via une gravure (plu de clé usb) et ça plante.... J'ai vérifié, et ya un blême. Vas savoir pourquoi. Aucune raison. 2 gravures de contrôle pus tard, même symptôme.... Bizarre mais ma foi, on s'en tape.

Salut camarade

Alors ?

Personnellement, j'ai démonté, j'ai trouvé la CR2430, j'ai fais un test avec une autre pile mais impossible de réinitialiser. Cette pute veut rien savoir.

Marre de chez marre. J'vais aller gueuler chez Tascam, parce que ça fait une semaine et 0 news

Salut, le mieux ça serait que tu m'appelles au 06 64 28 87 83 car la manip est compliquée à expliquer mais j'ai réussi à tout réinitialiser. Tu peux m'appeler dans la journée.

Salut à Toi, j'essaie de te contacter demain en fin de journée... En mix toute la journée. Merci pour tout. :cool:

Hello Dominique

J'ai finalement réussi à remettre ma TM-D en marche. Grand ouf de soulagement, à un moment j'ai eu peur que ce soient les Eproms en elles-mêmes qui ne soient en cause (vue que la mienne faisait partie des toutes premières).

Mais bon, tout est rentré dans l'ordre, il n'y a plus qu'à revisser.

A un de ces jours peut-être :p

Stéphane GIL

Yessssss ..... Je vais donner la vraie procédure en anglais et French, parce que quelque part, cette machine a été oubliée de tous. Hélas

If the desk is on, turn it off. Wait 15 secs. Turn on it.

This will lit on the screen "the desk can't start, need midi dump" (not exactly but like that).
Place the new cell, solder it, scotch it, what you find. ...

On this site, on this blog, you saw 3 files to download... Take them on your hard disk, don't try to burn them on a dvd or cd to bring them on another computer (ouch, you can have some problems). make sure that you have a real sequencer... The only one is Cubase. Trust me, with another midi player it doesn't works). For reference, the speed of the 3 sequences must be 30 bpm... Very important.

So. You have your dead mixing desk, a simple midi interface, a computer with the 3 rom files.... AND IMPORTANT : The mixing desk is powered plug on a manual switched multiplug. Cause if you're alone, you must have 2 hands for the shortcuts and 1 foot to turn on the desk.... Incredible thing but real.

Now the roots.

open Cubase, open "main". Turn on the desk who say " cannot start, must do something"....

The basic channel is "1". connect your midi interface to the mixing desk. OUT from comuter, IN in the mixing desk. What a difficult job.

Press play on the comuter (don't forget the 30 bpm, not 120, by default midi sequence).... Wait 2 years.... No, wait approx 7 minutes (on the mixing console, you will see the download process (Main, Bin, Packet, etc)... After the midi file reading, you will see on the mixing desk "Upgrading main roms".... So cool

After that, the mixing desk will reboot and the screen will show "FATAL ERROR 136-000-000-XX" Fuck fuck fuck you can thing....

That's the point. NORMAL THING.

Turn off the mixing desk.

IT'S THE MORE IMPORTANT THING NOW.

Under the screen, you have the central section with pots and "eq" buttons on the right. On the right of the screen, you have a "shift" button. On the bar-graphe meter, under each meter, you have a "rec ready button".

So, with the desk off, press simultaneously "eq", "shift", "20 rec button" and turn on the desk (for me, two hands and one foot on the on-off ac-plug).... This will reset the PSRAM..... And the console will reboot after that.... Clean and cool.

It works now

But if you want to update the 2 other files (PANEL and REMOTE) it's very simple.

On the mixing desk, press shift, select MIDI/MMC, find the page with MIDI parameters , select OMNI ON. After that load the PANEL file (MIDIFILE) on Cubase. Start the sequence and the console will automatically start in download mode. At the end, the desk screen will show "writing kernel, 01 verify, done, writing kernel 02, verify, done, etc etc.... and reboot.

After that, on Cubase, load the third file (remote), and play it; The mixing desk will automatically download the file. (another time be carefull of the 30 bpm). After that, the mixinge desk will update the roms and reboot.

File upload completed, the mixing desk is full, plenty-usable.

That's the end and it works.

For the rest, I made a custom link between the battery placement and the rear of my desk, with 2 skinny cables, and a cell "outdoor" I choose a different battery model used on broadcast systems. The reference is CR123 A. This is the strongest version of the 3Volts lithium cells. Anyway, if the 60cm cables derivation have a power loss, I don't care, I will never have to unscrew my desk in the future.

Enjoy

Stephane GIL :cool:

Edit:

I thought about one thing.... It's unscrew, it's military grey, it's in steel......

Now, How can I pimp my mixing desk ?

hiiiiiiihaaaaaaaa !!!

:shock: :cool: :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
The midi dump also works at 120 bpm, i did it at this tempo and it works, but it's not very important...to clear the sdram, when you have done the midi dump, you can also turn on your tmd in diagnostic mode ("mtr/send+shift+rec19) and scroll down to initialize sdram.

Puis-je avoir plus de précision sur le démontage de la TMD 8000 afin d'acceder à la pile?
Merci!!

Vous pouvez m'appeler au 0664288783 demain, c'est plus simple à expliquer au tel.

Hi Guys,

Could anybody point me in the direction of where to get the midi files for my TM-D8000 to do a midi dump? I can't seem to access the one in this thread.

Cheers

thanks for the files. so how do we do this dump? and did you have to solder battery in?

I don't remember seeing this documented on the forum here, so for posterity:
Tech note for the TM-D8000
How to check the Version of the firmware
Press and release the combo Shift+EQ (Library) + DYNAMIC (Library)
The contents of the LCD screen will change.
Repeat the combo again.
The contents of the LCD screen will change. The firmware version should be displayed in the text.
Press the combo again to revert back to the normal screen.

This works even if the screen is stuck on "waiting for MIDI download". If you see the Panel ROM version but not the main CPU version, that tells you that the Main ROM is corrupted. If you see both, you just need to do the SRAM clear sequence.
Shift+EQ (parameter control section)+ Rec FN 20.

RedBus.

Thanks Redbus,

Can anybody confirm the latest working firmware for the 8000. I have been out of this game for far too long. Also could somebody possibly email me the latest known "WORKING" version midi files?

The 8000 is just getting so old and I can't seem to find the time to get this thing going again. I know I will have to otherwise it is just an expensive piece of metal sitting on a room taking up space.

Cheers

Last version should be
Panel V1.10
Main V1.14

I advise against using the MIDI files unless you are sure they are what you need.
Windows Media Player used to have a problem playing back Sysex messages, it truncates them when it gets behind instead of making sure they all go out correctly.
That's why we had to slow down the files so much (tempo wise), and even then some computers would sometimes hiccup in delivery, resulting in garbled data and a corrupt ROM image. Since we saw so many problems, we always recommended ROM swaps instead.

RedBus.

New threads

Members online