Totally new to Digital

Sampler1

From
Montreal, Canada
Website
sites.google.com
Gear owned
DM-3200 and Mackie 24-8
I hope you will be understanding that I am totally new to Digital Consoles and my questions might be quite lame.. LOL
I presently have a mackie analog 24-8 and it is getting a bit tired. I came across a Tascam DM-3200 with the 1000 meter bridge. I am trying to figure out will I still need an IO interface to my PC or will the Tascam take care of that? The Tascam has both USB and a optional Firewire interface. Do both USB and Firewire need to be used? I have flipped through the manual and it does not shine much light on this.
Can someone please explain.
PS: where is the ASIO driver for windows found?
I have been a Tech for 40 +years but I am a virgin when it comes to digital. Sorry this post is so Lame..

The DM-3200 has two issues and both are no big deal to me . 1 : A half dead display . 2 : A jumpy fader.
I have located both parts in Asia. The display is about $65.00 and the Alps Fader is around $20.00 with postage. Im still not sure but I think I will opt for a LCD screen with a "LED backlight ".

I really appreciate your time..
Stay well.

PS: Happy to share the links But I'm not sure that is allowed in the forum.

Last edited:
@Sampler1 Welcome to one of the top communities on the web. At least I think so. So, let's see how I / we may be of assistance. I will try to tackle some of your questions.

1) The DM comes with a builtin audio interface. As per the owners manual:

Features

The IF-FW/DM MKII provides the following interfacing between your TASCAM mixer and a host computer via FireWire: •16 or 32 channels of Input to the mixer from the computer at 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k and 96k sample rates. •16 or 32 channels of Output from the mixer to the computer at 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k and 96k sample rates 5•1 MIDI port In and Out from the computer It also has comprehensive status monitoring in the mixer’s LCD, and a safety boot feature of its own software that is always available even if problems occur during software updating. Please see the Safety Boot Feature appendix for details.

2) The USB port Allows you to use the DM's remote layer as a control surface.
3) There are several options when it comes to replacing your display. Many posts covering that subject here.

https://mega.nz/file/U4gmHKyC#9DdE8UKslH3zIyqlQptfh52Lm4CNNtox61ZY-DAspDg

Peter Batah,
Perfect all is now clear ! A really big thanks.. After looking over the IF-FW/DM MKII docs a question came to mind. It might be a big question. Will this work with windows 10 ?
Very Best regards,

@Sampler As far as I know, the drivers are not 64 bit compatible

@Arjan P Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously, I was wrong. Sorry about the misinformation.

Your remark surprised me, I thought you were on Windows too.. IIRC, the IFFW driver was last updated for Windows 7 64-bit, but I may be wrong. Anyway, bottom line is that it works.

@Arjan P Actually I am still running Windows XP Pro (believe it or not) when using my Soundscape ReD32 external DAW. Surprisingly, that is all that is required. For some reason I was under the impression that the DM drivers did not play nice in 64bit. I must have confused it with the drivers that are used by my external unit. Yet I see no reason why it wouldn't function in a WIN10 32 bit environment. If it exists.

I am considering the purchase / construction of a new PC. I suppose that is when I will give my DM and Windows 10 a try. Have always been a PC guy but I was wondering if going the way of the Mac may be a wiser choice. Although I believe that software daw's like Cubase and Pro Tools will work just fine on either platform. Of course the PC solution is more likely to be more cost efficient.

BTW: Just heard that Eddie Van Halen passed away at 65. Terrible news!

Like I said, I'm not even sure the IFFW driver is actually 64 bit, but Windows 10 64-bit has no problem with older hardware. I even have an old M-Audio Midisport 8X8 MIDI-interface that comes from the Windows XP-era that is doing fine in my up to date Windows 10 machine.

Which IMO is also a strong point to stay with Windows. IMO, Windows is much less likely to cut support for older technology - and with Apple you never know what hardware will be obsolete with the next OS version. In my current setup I have not lost any hardware support going from Windows 7 to the current Windows 10 - and I built that PC in 2011!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thanks Guys for the information ! Looks like I have joined a great forum.

I purchased the DM-3200 and booted it up to take a look at the almost completely dead display. From there I ordered one. I decided to start off with a low cost one from Asia and after I have verified the console Ill upgrade to a LED backlight.
Now here is the mystery if you dont mind. Keep in mind I cannot read anything on the display that is there now. I plugged in a Microphone to a few channels and there is no display on the meter Bridge ????? ( switched are set correct)
Also no output from the Main out. Hummmm I have a bad feeling about this.
Is it possible that to complete the boot there is a confirmation on the Display???
Or am I going boxing with the guy who sold this to me and said all was good except the LCD ?

Thanks

@Sampler1 I too previously had a Mackie (32:8 Buss) I now use a DM4800. Getting to grips with the DMs come with a pretty steep learning curve. Without a display I think you'll have a major struggle on your hands.

@Sampler1 One of the first things that happens when you startup the DM is that it will read the CF card where it will load the last project if I'm not mistaken. And @t_track is right when he says that it is going to be very difficult to progress if you do not have access to your display. Routing is a very big deal with this device.

Keep in mind I cannot read anything on the display that is there now. I plugged in a Microphone to a few channels and there is no display on the meter Bridge ????? ( switched are set correct) Also no output from the Main out.
Without a functioning display, it's impossible to tell what's going on. If no physical imput is routed to any of the channels it could be perfectly correct that you see and hear nothing. One thing you could try is check that for each channel the 'Stereo' button is ON (on the left under Output Assign). But you're litterally in the blind this way - don't yell at the seller yet..

BTW, it could indeed be that the mixer is asking for confirmation of a reload of the last scene. Just push Enter or one of the cursor buttons and see if that does the trick..

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thanks for the reply, I know it was a dumb move but good news , I was able to get the inputs to come alive.. All the input channels seem ok with the exception of channel 2 and I figure its just configuration.. Ill wait till I get that new screen. I'm a happy camper now..
Cheers. To ALL !

New threads

Members online

No members online now.