Two New Covers by JP

Great stuff, @JP Illes! Nice work on the DP-32SD!

I think you've nailed it, JP! I could listen to that track all day long.:)

Performance, balance, spectrum, imagery, soundstage all spot on. Has a really good "live" feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Mark did you think the lead guitar was a bit far forward in the mix?

This is awesome. Sounds phenomenal. Could a cut record with this!

Or if you wish to tweak, *maybe* consider bringing the vocals up just a tad more.

Mark did you think the lead guitar was a bit far forward in the mix?
I did, but it's a minor point and doesn't detract at all from the quality of the mix, so I removed that from my comment.

For a frame of reference, can you describe your audio monitoring system (brand/model speakers, headphones; physical arrangement; connected directly to your portastudio)? What dB SPL (sound pressure level) do you monitor at? Knowing that info may help other budding audio musician/engineers improve on their own mixes.

Last edited:
My Monitor Speakers are KRK Rokit G4 with 5 speaker. The speakers are connected directly to the monitor out of the DP32sd and are set at 0.0 dB and they are EQ'd flat.

I've gotten several positive comments back on my mix. However, there was your's on the guitar, with which I agree, and there has been another comment that the vocal is a bit low in the mix. Vocals have always been a problem for me... Getting them to fit in the mix is a real art, which I have yet to master..

@JP Illes turn the monitors down so low that you can barely hear them. If you aren't hearing the lead vocal then it's not up enough in the mix. Whatever you want to stand out at any particular time in the mix should be the only thing you hear at barely perceptible levels.

Reactions: Mark Richards
MJK said: turn the monitors down so low that you can barely hear them. If you aren't hearing the lead vocal then it's not up enough in the mix. Whatever you want to stand out at any particular time in the mix should be the only thing you hear at barely perceptible levels.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try..

Lemme know if this technique helps.

See how this new mix sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/jp-illes/eye-sight-to-the-blind-22

I just listened to this on SoundCloud, I don't like it as much as my previous mix... Lead guitar level is to erratic. Vocal level is more present, but maybe to much.. Just my thoughts on this one..

I've done this before, I go to tweak a mix and end up screwing the whole thing up... Argh...

Last edited:
Sounds great :)

Fantastic job. I think you have a winner here.

Thank you for sharing your journey and your musics

By the way “This is It, I’ve Got to Move On” would make a great blues song title....

This is it, I've got to move on...
Know that feeling well! :)

I thought you nailed it two mixes back, but the subtle adjustments in this mix changed my mind. NOW you've nailed it.

Looking forward to hearing lot's more from you, JP.

New threads

Members online