Unable to import WAV file into Tascam DP-008EX?

Lino

Gear owned
Tascam DP-008ex
Hello, so I have a WAV file that I created in Audacity, and for some reason I cannot get it to import into my Tascam DP-008EX Pocketstudio multi-track recorder. This has worked fine before, where I have an Audacity project that I export to a WAV file, and then put that on my SD card, and then pop into the DP-008EX, and then import the tracks onto a new song. But for some reason with this new project it just is not working! I had an iPhone "Voice Memos" recording that was an ".m4a" file, that I then converted to a WAV file on freeconvert.com, and then brought that into Audacity, and exported that project as a WAV file. I then placed that WAV file on my SD card, and popped that into my DP-008EX, but when I went to "IMPORT/EXPORT" and then "IMPORT TRACK" the WAV file was not there! I just saw my other WAV files for which this process did actually work. I can't figure out what it is about this specific WAV file that is just not being accepted by my DP-008EX. Does anyone here have any ideas for what might be going wrong here and how I might fix this so that I can get my WAV file imported into a new song on my DP-008EX? Thank you!

This has been covered before and is due to either incompatible characters in the filename or an incompatible file format.
If it's the former, try using plain alpha-numeric characters only. The latter depends on the options you use to export your files from Audacity. Just to confuse things, different versions of Audacity have these options in different places. Here are a few posts which may help..
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/import-export-issues-and-audacity.7881/ posts #1 & #5
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/2488-importing-wav-files-mono-seen-as-stereo.4590/ post #8
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/import-changes-track-to-white-noise.5313/ posts #16 & #17

Hello Phil, thank you for addressing my question and for providing me with these helpful resources! I will try and get my solution from them. I did notice the track was being exported to a WAV file with "Encoding: Signed 16-bit PCM" and is also marked as "Mono, 48000Hz 32-bit float". Maybe the track needs to be exported as a "32-bit PCM" WAV file, or maybe I need to change this mono track to stereo first. Maybe one of those changes will fix the issue. I will read through your suggested posts to see if this same consideration came up. Thank you!

Sounds like it's the sampling freq which is the culprit. Don't change it to 32-bits as you'll make it worse :)
Page 79 of the DP008EX manual says files must be 16-bit 44.1KHz. Audacity has an option to convert 48K to 44.1K (Tracks, Resample) but I've never used it so don't know how good it is - try it and see.

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem a few days ago trying to export a WAV file to my DP-03 recorder. Nothing was happening. Upon consulting the manual I found that the WAV file has to be 44.1KHz sampling rate and I was using 48K, easily rectified that in Audacity and got it to work.

New threads

Members online